I don't understand how to solve this problem

jodas

I have the equations for Macaroni and Broccoli, but other than that I have no idea how to solve it. I know both of these need to be combined somehow get 14grams of protein and 48 grams of carbs
6r7tza.jpg
The question in 19.

jodas said:
I have the equations for Macaroni and Broccoli, but other than that I have no idea how to solve it. I know both of these need to be combined somehow get 14grams of protein and 48 grams of carbs
6r7tza.jpg
The question in 19.

Hmmmm....

let m = servings of macaroni
let b = servings of broccoli

Since each serving of macaroni has 3 grams of protein, then "m" servings would contain 3m grams of protein, right?

Since each serving of broccoli has 2 grams of protein, then "b" servings would contain 2b grams of protein.

You want to end up with 14 grams of protein...so,

3m + 2b = 14

By similar reasoning, "m" servings of macaroni would contain 16m grams of carbohydrates, and "b" servings of broccoli would contain 4b grams of carbohydrates. You want to have 48 grams of carbohydrate, so

16m + 4b = 48

Are these the equations you have?

You've got a system of two equations in two variables:

3m + 2b = 14
16m + 4b = 48

You need to solve this system of equations to find a value for "m" and a value for "b" which will make both equations true. (Hint: you might try multiplying both sides of the first equation by -2, and then add the two equations together....)