Another Probability Question...Dice

Gr8fu13

Two dice are rolled, find the probability that the sum is odd and the number on one of the dice is a 3.

a. 1/6
b. 3/36
c. 1/2
d. 1/12

I am not sure where to even beginning with this one. Should I try and use a tree diagram? The odds of rolling an odd number I would think would be 1/2 since the dice have an equal amount of even and odd numbers. But the probability of rolling a 3 I don't know. Would it be 2/12? but if that is the case how would I combine those to come up with one answer? I added them and came up with 2/3 but that is not an option....please help:( I would think that A and C are not an option right off the bat. But I am not sure how I would go about coming up with either of the other two answers.

Two dice are rolled, find the probability that the sum is odd and the number on one of the dice is a 3.

a. 1/6
b. 3/36
c. 1/2
d. 1/12

I am not sure where to even beginning with this one. Should I try and use a tree diagram? The odds of rolling an odd number I would think would be 1/2 since the dice have an equal amount of even and odd numbers. But the probability of rolling a 3 I don't know. Would it be 2/12? but if that is the case how would I combine those to come up with one answer? I added them and came up with 2/3 but that is not an option....please help:( I would think that A and C are not an option right off the bat. But I am not sure how I would go about coming up with either of the other two answers.

Let us see how many ways we can satisfy the condition:

(3,2), (3,4),(3,6), (2,3), (4,3), (6,3) ........that's it

Out of 36 possible cases - 6 of those will satisfy your criterion → probability of success = 6/36

So if that is the case, would I multiply the 1/2 for the probability of an odd number and the probabilty of a 3 (6/36) and come up with 1/12?

Thanks for the through explaination. I wasn't figuring in the fact about the odd numbers and rolling a 3 which IS an odd number:) The whole independant thing was confusing to me as well. I think I am going to have to go back and review more of the chapter again. I just don't understand it the way it is written. I did see the 39 vs. 40 on the other problem. I wouldn't have ever thought that 39 would be the denominator because there were 40 strings. Thanks for all your help.

I will definitely be bringing that up to my teacher for the sake of future students. Thanks!