Probability

Sue20

A golfer arrives late and joins his friends at the 6th tee. He plays that hole and all the others through the 18th. How many holes of golf does he play?
* I'm not sure how to begin... would you set up the problem in fraction form: 6/18 or would you divide 18/6?

A golfer arrives late and joins his friends at the 6th tee. He plays that hole and all the others through the 18th. How many holes of golf does he play?
* I'm not sure how to begin... would you set up the problem in fraction form: 6/18 or would you divide 18/6?

Sue20,

You're making this way too hard. This problem is not about probability, nor is it about fractions. It's just an exercise in correctly interpreting a word problem and doing some simple arithmetic.

"How many holes of golf does he play?" If we rush in without analyzing the problem, we might be tempted to simply subtract 6 from 18. However, the golfer played the 6th hole. We need to recognize that he skipped the first five holes. Thus, we need to subtract 5 from 18. Make sense?

Hello, Sue20!

A golfer arrives late and joins his friends at the 6th tee.
He plays that hole and all the others through the 18th.
How many holes of golf does he play?

* I'm not sure how to begin...

Let's see . . .

He plays holes: #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, and #18.

Could someone give me a formula for the number of holes he played?

Do I use combinations or permutations? .Do I differentiate an exponential function?
Do I integrate the inverse hyperbolic cosine function? .Do I use Pascal's Triangle?

Please help!