Can you please check over this problem?

Sue20

What is the probability of a monkey removing the letters G,S,and W (in any order) from a collections of the 6 letters G,S,W,X,Y, and Z if he removes exactly 3 letters? (exact fraction in lowest terms)
* Is this correct?
GSW SGW = 5/6 Did i miss anything?
WSG
WGS
SWG

What is the probability of a monkey removing the letters G,S,and W (in any order) from a collections of the 6 letters G,S,W,X,Y, and Z if he removes exactly 3 letters?

Always try to ask yourself if your answer makes sense. Do you think the monkey could choose the correct three letters out of six total 5 out of 6 times consistently? (No.)

There are a couple of ways to approach this problem. I don't know if you've studied Combinations and Permutations yet, so I'll skip that approach.

Consider this: Because there are 6 letters and 3 of them are "correct", the chance of drawing a correct first letter is 3 out of 6, or 1/2.

To choose a second letter correctly, there are now only 2 correct letters left out of 5 total letters, so the chances of getting the second letter correct are 2 out of 5, or 2/5.

By similar logic, there is only 1 chance out of 4 of getting the last correct letter, or 1/4.

So, the probability of getting all three of these events to occur is the product of the three individual probabilities. Does this sound familiar? Hope that helps.

What is the probability of a monkey removing the letters G,S,and W (in any order) from a collections of the 6 letters G,S,W,X,Y, and Z if he removes exactly 3 letters? (exact fraction in lowest terms)
There are \(\displaystyle \dbinom{6}{3}=\dfrac{6\cdot 5\cdot 4}{3\cdot 2\cdot 1}=20\) ways for our monkey to select exactly three of those six letters.
Now \(\displaystyle \{G,S,W\}\) is one of those twenty.