Probability tree

encryptioncode

Hello, I have to create a probability tree showing all marginal, conditional and joint probabilities for my homework problem and a joint probability table. However, i don't know how to even begin to approach this one. Here is my homework problem:

A metropolitan school system consists of three districts--North, south and central. The north district contains 25% of all students, the south district contains 40% percent of all students and the central district contains 35%. A minimum competency test was given to all students; 10% of the north district students failed, 15% of the south district students failed and 5% of the central district students failed.

I know that only one event (the test) can occur in this situation assuming the students could only take the test once. I know that percentage probability can be expressed in decimals. Should i make up a hypothetical situation as far as the number of students taking the test. Then break it down by the information given? For instance, there are 1000 students. North district as 25% (.25) of those students which equals 250; South as 40%(.40) of those 1000 students which is 400 and Central has 35% (.35) of those students which equals 350.

With only one event occurring in each district, should the question be how many students in each district will fail the test? Please help. I dont know where to begin but i was trying to come up with something.