Factorial Counting & Probabilities

tfs985

I am having a hard time with a homework assignment, can anyone steer me in the right direction? Here is the question:

7 winners for a door prize will be selected at random, without replacement, from a list containing 7 men and 5 women.

a) How many different sets of seven winners can be selected for the door prize?
b) How many different sets of seven winners consisting of 4 men and 3 women can be selected for door prizes?
c) How many different sets of seven winners consisting of more men than women can be selected for door prizes?

I have a class handout and I've read the entire chapter, but I'm perplexed on how to even begin this problem. The aspect that is confusing me is the fact that a 3rd variable, the 7 winners is included, rather than just the different sets of 7 men and 5 women.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

I am having a hard time with a homework assignment, can anyone steer me in the right direction? Here is the question:

7 winners for a door prize will be selected at random, without replacement, from a list containing 7 men and 5 women.

a) How many different sets of seven winners can be selected for the door prize?
b) How many different sets of seven winners consisting of 4 men and 3 women can be selected for door prizes?
c) How many different sets of seven winners consisting of more men than women can be selected for door prizes?

I have a class handout and I've read the entire chapter, but I'm perplexed on how to even begin this problem. The aspect that is confusing me is the fact that a 3rd variable, the 7 winners is included, rather than just the different sets of 7 men and 5 women.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

You are to choose 7 people (who will be dubbed winners) from a group of 12 people..... that's it....

You are to choose 7 people (who will be dubbed winners) from a group of 12 people..... that's it....

So using the principle of multiplication, I should get (12) (7) = 84 different sets?

Sorry if I seem clueless, this probability stuff isn't clicking in my brain yet...