Sample Variance in Excel 2010?

tfs985

Hi guys,

I am having a hard time calculating sample variance for a ordered array of data in Microsoft Excel 2010. I'm using the fomula: =var.s(cell ranges) and am getting huge integers, such as 93,300. If anybody is familiar with Excel 2010 could you let me know what I am doing wrong? I've checked youtube and couldn't find any good instruction videos....thanks!

Hi guys,

I am having a hard time calculating sample variance for a ordered array of data in Microsoft Excel 2010. I'm using the fomula: =var.s(cell ranges) and am getting huge integers, such as 93,300. If anybody is familiar with Excel 2010 could you let me know what I am doing wrong? I've checked youtube and couldn't find any good instruction videos....thanks!

Does just var(cell ranges) not work?

=var.s() is good. Can you provide a small example? What you have stated actually makes very little sense. Something is wrong. Perhaps you are expecting the Standard Deviation?

=var() is not supported and is retained in 2010 only for compatibility. Don't use that. You should be able to use it to check.

=var.s() is good. Can you provide a small example? What you have stated actually makes very little sense. Something is wrong. Perhaps you are expecting the Standard Deviation?

=var() is not supported and is retained in 2010 only for compatibility. Don't use that. You should be able to use it to check.

Thanks for the response. The numbers range from 3,677 to 17,000....I must've just been expected a smaller #, such as the Standard Deviation. I went with the original answer I got, I did var(cell values), so it should be right based on everything I've seen.