Partition of Sets

Seeker555

\(\displaystyle A_i\subset \Omega\) Let \(\displaystyle \Omega\) be any set
\(\displaystyle i\in I,\ I=\mathbb{N}\)

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{P} =\ \{A_i\ |\ i\in I\}\)
is a partition of \(\displaystyle \Omega\) if each set \(\displaystyle A_i\) is not empty. The sets \(\displaystyle A_i\) are mutually disjoint.

Now let \(\displaystyle \Omega =\ \mathbb{R}\). Give an example of a partition of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) such that a) I={1,2}, b) I=(1,2,3), c) I=(\(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\).

Now given the above,
\(\displaystyle \mathcal{F}\ =\ {\bigcup}{i\in J}\ A_i\ |J\subset I\) (here the or than symbol is mean to have \(\displaystyle i\in J\) underneath it sorry)

Write down the collection \(\displaystyle \mathcal{F}\\) explicitly for the examples of P you gave in
part (i) for I = (1,2) and I=(1,2,3). And prove that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{F}\\) is a field.

So any help much appreciated and i'm sure if you only give an answer for just one of a), b) i'll be able to work out the others. Thanks.

Now let \(\displaystyle \Omega =\ \mathbb{R}\). Give an example of a partition of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) such that a) I={1,2}, b) I=(1,2,3), c) I=(\(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\).
For part c). Let \(\displaystyle A_0=(-\infty,0]\), if \(\displaystyle n\in\mathbb{Z}^+\) define \(\displaystyle A_n=(n-1,n]\).
\(\displaystyle A_i\subset \Omega\) Let \(\displaystyle \Omega\) be any set \(\displaystyle i\in I,\ I=\mathbb{N}\)

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{F}\ =\ {\bigcup}{i\in J}\ A_i\ |J\subset I\) (here the or than symbol is mean to have \(\displaystyle i\in J\) underneath it sorry)
Write down the collection \(\displaystyle \mathcal{F}\\) explicitly for the examples of P you gave in
part (i) for I = (1,2) and I=(1,2,3). And prove that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{F}\\) is a field.
I don't understand the above notation.

The big cup is meant to have i elemnt of J underneath it. the rest of the notation is as it is written by the university professors.

the rest of the notation is as it is written by the university professors.
I am a retired university professor who taught set theory for thirty years and I still have no idea what \(\displaystyle F = \left {\bigcup\limits_{i \in J} {A_i } } \right|\,J \subset I\) means.

Last edited:
I am a retired university professor who taught set theory for thirty years and I still have no idea what \(\displaystyle F = \left {\bigcup\limits_{i \in J} {A_i } } \right|\,J \subset I\) means.

hehe ****. though i should say the F is written in a styalised way. (but i can't imagine that would make much of a difference). **** no wonder i dont have a clue what to do.

i couldn't ask, what latex did you use to get the i element of j underneath the big cup? that would be a great help.