Coin flip problem

Pasghettos

There are three coins. They look and feel identical. Two are fair and the third comes up heads 60% of the time. The objective is to determine which coin is unfair.

You are allowed a total of 4 flips. Meaning you could flip one coin all 4 times, or 2 and 2, or 1, 1, 2, etc. Any combination as long as you only make a maximum of 4 flips.

What flipping strategy should you use? And given that strategy, how often will you correctly choose the biased coin?

There are three coins. They look and feel identical. Two are fair and the third comes up heads 60% of the time. The objective is to determine which coin is unfair.

You are allowed a total of 4 flips. Meaning you could flip one coin all 4 times, or 2 and 2, or 1, 1, 2, etc. Any combination as long as you only make a maximum of 4 flips.

What flipping strategy should you use? And given that strategy, how often will you correctly choose the biased coin?

Please share your work with us, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

If you had only one flip then your chances would be 1/3*.6 + 2/3*.5*.5 = 36.6~%

That is, the 1/3 chance you randomly selected the biased coin to flip multiplied by the 60% chance you landed heads, plus the 2/3 chance you selected a fair coin to flip multiplied by the 50% chance of a tail, multiplied by the 50% chance you happened to choose correctly between the unflipped coins. From there I get lost, I have no idea how to account for a second flip, much less 4 flips.

Because the previous poster was so bold.
I will, like him or her, use my 2nd post to take a stab while I wait to see if someone answers my 1st post.

STRATEGY or how to apportion 4 flips:
Flipping one coin once obviously provides no information about bias. (And obviously I am not facile with the theorems of probability).
Since flipping an unbiased coin 2x must produce either 'the same side up' or 'opposite sides' and both are equally likely, I don't think that would help ID the biased coin either.
Flipping any one coin only 3x, means the last flip is wasted (for reason#1), so my gut says choose any one of the three coins and flip it all 4 times.

If the same side shows all 4x, you'd be right in saying that was the biased coin all but 2 out of 16 times, i.e., you'd have a 87.5% probability of being correct,
because an unbiased coin would behave this way only 2 times out of 16 in the long run.

A fair coin (flipped fairly) should show 3 heads or 3 tails half the time in the limit and
2 heads and 2 tails 6/16*100% in the limit.

I think my analysis already, at the minimum, shows how much more efficient it would be to use universally-recognized notation and terms and to base arguments on theorems rather than enumeration of all possibilities.

Hopefully my 1st post is answered now by someone employing both of these advancements.

Last edited: