Quick Slope Question?

abelusmc

Ok so I am new and rusty to math and I recently got a project and it involves much statistical math. I am very new to this type of math and I have a question, I am building a C++ function that would calculate the similarity of a users age needs:

So in an example a man want to talk to women that are between 30-40 years old.

The women that fall into that age range receive a value of 1.0.

Now in my paper it say that the scoring model uses a slope of 0.15 points per year over the specified age range and a slope of 0.25 points per year under the age range. It states in the paper "As an example, a 42 year old woman would be assigned a normalized value of 0.85 [(0.70)(0.5)+(0.5)]".

Can someone break this down for me into a more easier to understand concept or just tell me how they got the 0.85?

I want to write this in code so I need kinda a better understanding of the formula.

What if she was 29 or 22 etc etc.

Also my email is abelusmc@gmail.com

Thank you I appreciate it!!!

Well judging by the way you seem to write in your reply you are very knowledgeable in this area of math and probably I didn't write well! I am very new to this area of math so I apologize.

Well indeed there is an example of an age for women under 30, I did not write it. Here goes.

"As an example, a 42 year old woman would be assigned a normalized value of 0.85 [(0.70)(0.5)+(0.5)]. A 28 year old woman have a normalized value of 0.75".