Total novice requires urgent help

mrsallen

I have no experience of working with statistics and trying to find an explanation of how to calculate answers very nearly has me in tears. I'll do the work but would appreciate an explanation of how.

1. I have a sample size of 870. 42% of respondents are male and 58% female. How do I calculate if the difference between the percentage responses is statistically significant?

2. Again with my sample size of 870. How do I calculate if this sample is large enough to be considered representative of the larger population?

I realize these questions may generate giggles as a result of their simplicity but most often one can't know how to do something until one learns.
Thank you.

I have no experience of working with statistics and trying to find an explanation of how to calculate answers very nearly has me in tears. I'll do the work but would appreciate an explanation of how.

1. I have a sample size of 870. 42% of respondents are male and 58% female. How do I calculate if the difference between the percentage responses is statistically significant?

There are formulas for this. Does you textbook not have them?

2. Again with my sample size of 870. How do I calculate if this sample is large enough to be considered representative of the larger population?
That depends on how much larger the population is. If the population were 871, yes, it would be representative! If the population were 100,000,000, no it wouldn't be.

I realize these questions may generate giggles as a result of their simplicity but most often one can't know how to do something until one learns.
Thank you.

Last edited: