I really need help!!

zaimba6

For some reason I have a feeling 1a. is kind of a 'trick' question, where the answer is in the first paragraph. I have a feeling the answer is 65kg, but hey, I could be wrong. If someone could point me in the direction of how to figure this out, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. A lift in a building carriers 25 passengers. The weights of single passengers chosen at random have a mean of 65 kilograms and a standard deviation of 7 kilograms.

a. Calculate the mean of the total weights of the passengers.

b. Calculate the variance of the total weight of the 25 passengers

2. Nuts and bolts are used in the assembly of a part of the lift. The diameters of both nuts and bolts are normally distributed. The diameters of nuts vary randomly with a mean of 15.3 millimeters and standard deviation of 0.2 millimeters. The diameters of the bolts also vary randomly with a mean of 15.2 millimeters and a standard deviation of 0.1 millimeters.

a. Calculate the mean difference between the diameter of the nuts and the diameters of the bolts.

b. Calculate the variance of the difference between the diameter of the nuts and the diameter of the bolts.

Can you please give answers step by step and explain what you are doing.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I'm just so stuck on this one that I can't even start it. For some reason I have a feeling 1a. is kind of a 'trick' question, where the answer is in the first paragraph. I have a feeling the answer is 65kg, but hey, I could be wrong. I think word questions just freak me out, I'd much rather have to solve an equation than this jumble of words....

1. A lift in a building carriers 25 passengers. The weights of single passengers chosen at random have a mean of 65 kilograms and a standard deviation of 7 kilograms.

a. Calculate the mean of the total weights of the passengers.

b. Calculate the variance of the total weight of the 25 passengers

2. Nuts and bolts are used in the assembly of a part of the lift. The diameters of both nuts and bolts are normally distributed. The diameters of nuts vary randomly with a mean of 15.3 millimeters and standard deviation of 0.2 millimeters. The diameters of the bolts also vary randomly with a mean of 15.2 millimeters and a standard deviation of 0.1 millimeters.

a. Calculate the mean difference between the diameter of the nuts and the diameters of the bolts.

b. Calculate the variance of the difference between the diameter of the nuts and the diameter of the bolts.

Can you please give answers step by step and explain what you are doing.

Thanks so much!

I don't understand what is referenced by "mean of the total weights of the passengers."

Please read the post titled "Read before Posting".

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these")

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

I don't understand what is referenced by "mean of the total weights of the passengers."

Please read the post titled "Read before Posting".

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these")

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

I am stuck on the entire thing.... Ok, my specific question is, how on earth do I do these? My starting point is having an idea of what question 1a. might be.

And I also have no idea what "mean of the total weights of the passengers." means... I was hoping someone else does. That's exactly what is written down.

I know someone out there can help me! I don't go to a school, I'm home schooled, so I am only sent booklets for me to learn from, and then I post in my work and receive feedback/my grade back. I don't have a way of contacting a teacher for help ect. So I really desperately need someone to help me as I can't figure this out. :(

Sophie