ummm i need HELP!!

akay

In a certain year, a state switched from a 6/49 lottery to a 6/53 lottery. Later, the state switched again to a 6/51 lottery.(a) Find the probability of winning first prize in a 6/49 lottery. (Enter your answer as a fraction.)

(b) Find the probability of winning first prize in a 6/53 lottery. (Enter your answer as a fraction.)

(c) Find the probability of winning first prize in a 6/51 lottery. (Enter your answer as a fraction.)

(d) How much more probable is it that one will win the 6/49 lottery than the 6/53 lottery? (Round your answer to the nearest whole number.)
%

Do you already understand the meaning of those ratios (6/49, 6/51, and 6/53)?

Googling keywords "what is a 6/49 lottery?" quickly leads to the following:

As the name implies, six numbers are drawn from a set of 49. If a ticket matches all six numbers, the jackpot prize is won.

This involves combinations. Click here for definition.

There are only so many different ways to select six numbers from a set of 49. Each way is called a combination. Has your class gone over combinations? If you need to see a refresher, then here are some worked examples for you to check out. Have you used that formula before? Are you able to simplify fractions containing factorials in both the numerator and denominator? Do you understand factorial notation?

I'm not sure whether any of this seems familiar to you or what you may have already tried or thought about. I don't know what grade you're in. I don't know what your class is doing.

Where are you stuck? Do you have a specific question about this exercise?

Volunteers are eager to help you, once you provide some information about your situation.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited: