Game Attendance

apple

Of the students at a certain college, 50% regularly attend the football games, 30% are first-year students, and 40% are upper-class students who do not regularly attend football games. Suppose that a student is selected at random.

A) What is the probability that the person both is a first-year student and regularly attends football games?

B) What is the conditional probability that that person regularly attends football games given that he is a first-year student?

C) What is the conditional probability that the person is a first-year student given that he regularly attends football games?

A friend told me the easiest way to do this is using a joint probability table, but I can't find any tutorials on how to make one. Can someone explain or show me a reference on how to make one?

Thanks so much!

Of the students at a certain college, 50% regularly attend the football games, 30% are first-year students, and 40% are upper-class students who do not regularly attend football games. Suppose that a student is selected at random.

A) What is the probability that the person both is a first-year student and regularly attends football games?

B) What is the conditional probability that that person regularly attends football games given that he is a first-year student?

C) What is the conditional probability that the person is a first-year student given that he regularly attends football games?

A friend told me the easiest way to do this is using a joint probability table, but I can't find any tutorials on how to make one. Can someone explain or show me a reference on how to make one?

Thanks so much!

Are you saying you don't know how to use Google??!!

go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6OUdvH3hFo

Hello, apple!

Of the students at a certain college, 50% regularly attend the football games, 30% are first-year students,
and 40% are upper-class students who do not regularly attend football games.

50% are football fans (F); 50% are not (NF).
30% are first-year (1st); 70% are upperclassmen (UC)

We can form this table:

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|}\hline & F & NF & \text{Total} \\ \hline \text{1st} &&& 30\% \\ \hline \text{UC} &&& 70\% \\ \hline \text{Total} & 50\% & 50\% & 100\% \\ \hline \end{array}\)

We are told that 40% of the students are UC and NF.

Insert that percent in the table.

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|}\hline & F & NF & \text{Total} \\ \hline \text{1st} &&& 30\% \\ \hline \text{UC} &&40\%& 70\% \\ \hline \text{Total} & 50\% & 50\% & 100\% \\ \hline \end{array}\)

Complete the table and answer the questions.