Table Seating

Steven48

I do not know if this belongs here but: I NEED HELP!!!

There are 9 children coming to Terry's birthday party. Tom, Ken, Muhammed, Ashi, Kumar, Erica, Carla, Louisa, and Zara. There are 3 tables and each of the 3 tables has only 3 seats.
When the party begins, each child takes a seat.

The children get up to play musical chairs, and after the game they must now sit at a different table from before, and they may NOT sit with any child that they have sat with before.

Then comes another game. The children get up to play, and when the sit, they must again sit at a different table, and they can NOT sit with any one that they've sat with before.

List the table seating for all 3 events: entering, after musical chairs, and after the 2nd game.

Thanks

Steven48

I do not know if this belongs here but: I NEED HELP!!!

There are 9 children coming to Terry's birthday party. Tom, Ken, Muhammed, Ashi, Kumar, Erica, Carla, Louisa, and Zara. There are 3 tables and each of the 3 tables has only 3 seats.

The children get up to play musical chairs, and after the game they must now sit at a different table from before, and they may NOT sit with any child that they have sat with before.

Then comes another game. The children get up to play, and when the sit, they must again sit at a different table, and they can NOT sit with any one that they've sat with before.

List the table seating for all 3 events: entering, after musical chairs, and after the 2nd game.

Thanks

Steven48

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these")

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

OK, I understand the rules, I think

I am in the 9th grade and we have this Problem of the Week. We are learning problem solving strategies, and I have been at this for 3 days making a table or grid and actually drawing the tables.

...................T 1 ....T 2... T 3

Entering :/ 1 3 7 /2 4 9 /5 6 8
Game 1:/ 2 6 9/ 1 5 8/ 3 4 7
Game 2:/ 4 5 8 /3 6 7 /1 2 9

I have done this many many times, and while I can get the children ( 1-9) to sit at different tables, I can not get them so they never sit with anyone they have not been with before.

See 5 8 and 5 8... I am going nuts.

I tried to separate the seatings to show you, but sometimes they bunch together...sorry

Is there something I am not doing or not thinking of?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am in the 9th grade and we have this Problem of the Week. We are learning problem solving strategies, and I have been at this for 3 days making a table or grid and actually drawing the tables.

...................T 1 ....T 2... T 3

Entering :/ 1 3 7 /2 4 9 /5 6 8
Game 1:/ 2 6 9/ 1 5 8/ 3 4 7
Game 2:/ 4 5 8 /3 6 7 /1 2 9

I have done this many many times, and while I can get the children ( 1-9) to sit at different tables, I can not get them so they never sit with anyone they have not been with before.

See 5 8 and 5 8... I am going nuts.

I tried to separate the seatings to show you, but sometimes they bunch together...sorry

Is there something I am not doing or not thinking of?

Thanks
Thank you for reading the guidelines and responding.

This is a very odd problem because Terry, whose birthday it is, is not sitting anywhere.

Another reason it is odd is that there is no answer to the question as posed. Let's see why.

So let's say the first seating was:

Table 1: A, B, C

So, on the next seating, A must go either to Table 2 or to Table 3 to avoid sitting at the same table. If A goes to Table 2, then B must go to Table 3. If A goes to Table 3, then B must go to Table 2. But then the rules say that C is not to sit at Table 1, Table 2, or Table 3. So there is no solution to the problem as you have described it.

Please check that you have correctly described the problem.