problem solving

Eanaya

samuel was riding in the back seat of the station wagon on the way home after a long and tiring day at the beach. He fell asleep halfway home. He didn't wake up until he still had half as far to go as he had already gone while asleep. How much of the entire trip was Samuel asleep?

Not too sure how to set up this problem, i drew it out on a timeline but I'm currently stuck. help please

samuel was riding in the back seat of the station wagon on the way home after a long and tiring day at the beach. He fell asleep halfway home. He didn't wake up until he still had half as far to go as he had already gone while asleep. How much of the entire trip was Samuel asleep?

Not too sure how to set up this problem, i drew it out on a timeline but I'm currently stuck. help please

What does your timeline look like? You should make the start of the trip zero and the end of the trip 1 with him falling asleep at 1/2

not too sure how to type out a timeline on here but i will try

asleep woke up to go

i spread out the #'s but looking at it they're all bunched up. I labeled where he was aleep and when he woke up.

okay, I tried to work some of it out, please let me know if I did anything wrong

x=entire distance
y= amount he slept

(2) y+1/2y=1/2x(2)
2y+y=x
3y=x
y=1/3x