STA Question

harunatsuaki

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING QUESTION??? :confused::confused::confused:

In an experiment examining the effects of humor on memory, Schmidt (1994) showed participants a list of sentences, half of which were humorous and half were nonhumorous. The participants consistently recalled more of the humorous sentences than the nonhumorous sentences.
(a) Identify the independent variable for this study.
number of sentences recalled
number of sentences shown
humorous versus nonhumorous
memory capacity
(b) What scale of measurement is used for the independent variable?
nominal
ordinal
interval
ratio
(c) Identify the dependent variable for this study.
memory capacity
(d) What scale of measurement is used for the dependent variable?
nominal
ordinal
interval
ratio

Wouldn't you feel better if YOU did at least a little on this yourself? Certainly you should be able to do "(a) Identify the independent variable for this study"! Tell us what you do or do not know about this problem. If you are taking a statistics course, you should, at the very least, know the meanings of these words.

Wouldn't you feel better if YOU did at least a little on this yourself? Certainly you should be able to do "(a) Identify the independent variable for this study"! Tell us what you do or do not know about this problem. If you are taking a statistics course, you should, at the very least, know the meanings of these words.

Well, that was very rude of you. If you don't have anything better to do than insult people and call them stupid, then I feel sorry for you. And in response to your insult, yes I do know what an independent and dependent variable is. I just need help withe determining what scale they're measured on. I thought that If I put the full question up, it might help SOMEONE WHO IS WILLING TO HELP ME better understand the question. If you don't fel/want to help me, then don't post anything up because I am not benefiting from it. Thank you.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING QUESTION??? :confused::confused::confused:

In an experiment examining the effects of humor on memory, Schmidt (1994) showed participants a list of sentences, half of which were humorous and half were nonhumorous. The participants consistently recalled more of the humorous sentences than the nonhumorous sentences.
memory capacity
nominal
ordinal
interval
ratio
memory capacity
nominal
ordinal
interval
ratio

Just to clarify: I need help with parts (b) and (d) of this question. Thank you.

Actually, it would be of great help to know what answers you have for parts (a) and (c). If the variable is the number of occurrences of something, that would probably be "nominal," but if you chose "humorous vs. nonhumorous" it would be "ratio."

Seeing your work is essential. We are trying not to be disrespectful, but we have to know what you know and where you are stuck.

Actually, it would be of great help to know what answers you have for parts (a) and (c). If the variable is the number of occurrences of something, that would probably be "nominal," but if you chose "humorous vs. nonhumorous" it would be "ratio."

Seeing your work is essential. We are trying not to be disrespectful, but we have to know what you know and where you are stuck.

For part (a), my answer was humorous v. nonhumorous
For part (c), my answer was number of sentences recalled

Thanks