Probability with primes

Stochastic_Jimmy

Suppose we're picking an integer \(\displaystyle x\) at random between 1 and, let's say, 100. And suppose we want to know the probability that \(\displaystyle x\) has \(\displaystyle k\) prime factors (\(\displaystyle k \geq 1\)).

We'd need to know how many of the integers between 1 and 100 have a single prime factor (i.e. the primes themselves), and also how many have 2 prime factors, how many have 3 primes factors, etc.

I'm wondering if there's a way to be more efficient than actually checking each of the 100 possible integers for its number of prime factors?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Suppose we're picking an integer \(\displaystyle x\) at random between 1 and, let's say, 100. And suppose we want to know the probability that \(\displaystyle x\) has \(\displaystyle k\) prime factors (\(\displaystyle k \geq 1\)).

We'd need to know how many of the integers between 1 and 100 have a single prime factor (i.e. the primes themselves), and also how many have 2 prime factors, how many have 3 primes factors, etc.

I'm wondering if there's a way to be more efficient than actually checking each of the 100 possible integers for its number of prime factors?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
I think I would write a program, with Nmax as a parameter. How do you want to handle repeated factors .. for instance, 8 = 2^3, Do you call that 1 prime factor, or 3?
And is the number 1 special, with NO prime factors (as pure mathematicians define primes)?

I would define arrays N_primes (initialized to 1) and Remainder (initialized to N).
Have a list of all primes P < sqrt(Nmax), then loop N from P to Nmax step P, incrementing N_primes(N) and dividing Remainder(N) by P.

After doing that for P=2,3,5,7 (assuming Nmax=100, this is all you need), deal with the Remainder array to account for repeated factors. Perhaps a way to do that is to add N_primes(Remainder(N)) to N_primes(N) -- that would have to be thought about!