Stochastic convergence

carla1985

Hi, I'm really stuck on this last question for one of my stats papers, can anyone help on it please? Thanks:

"(i) Let X be a random variable on a discrete probability space (Ω, A, P ) and let \(\displaystyle \epsilon>\epsilon_0\). Show that
\(\displaystyle P(|X-a|\geq\epsilon)\leq P(|X-a|\geq\epsilon_0)\) for real and positive \(\displaystyle a\). Why is this useful when checking on stochastic convergence?

(ii) Let \(\displaystyle X_n\ for\ n\in N_0\), be a collection of random variables such that each \(\displaystyle X_n\) takes values in the set {3, 8, 11} with the distribution of
\(\displaystyle X_n\) given by

\(\displaystyle p_{X_n}(3)=1-\frac{3}{n}-\frac{5}{n^2},\ \ \ P_{X_n}(8)=\frac{3}{n},\ \ \ P_{X_n}(11)=\frac{5}{n^2}\)

Prove that \(\displaystyle X_n\)3 stochastically as n → ∞."

Hi, I'm really stuck on this last question for one of my stats papers, can anyone help on it please? Thanks:

"(i) Let X be a random variable on a discrete probability space (Ω, A, P ) and let \(\displaystyle \epsilon>\epsilon_0\). Show that
\(\displaystyle P(|X-a|\geq\epsilon)\leq P(|X-a|\geq\epsilon_0)\) for real and positive \(\displaystyle a\). Why is this useful when checking on stochastic convergence?

(ii) Let \(\displaystyle X_n\ for\ n\in N_0\), be a collection of random variables such that each \(\displaystyle X_n\) takes values in the set {3, 8, 11} with the distribution of
\(\displaystyle X_n\) given by

\(\displaystyle p_{X_n}(3)=1-\frac{3}{n}-\frac{5}{n^2},\ \ \ P_{X_n}(8)=\frac{3}{n},\ \ \ P_{X_n}(11)=\frac{5}{n^2}\)

Prove that \(\displaystyle X_n\)3 stochastically as n → ∞."

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (e.g. "are these correct?")

Sorry, it took me so long to figure out the tex stuff i forgot about what else i needed to put in there. Ok, the first part im unsure how to start really, logic tells me its true but i dont know how to show it.

for part ii i thought i thought i should add them up and divide by 3 but i get a third. Then i tried taking the limits of the 3 individual functions but that gives me 1 so either my maths is terrible or im using the wrong methods. Any pointers in the right direction is very much appreciated.