Please help !!!!!

stats83

My profesor provided us with some data and some questions about the data but he didnt do a good job explaining it. Im so lost and confused and my test in is 2 days. the data is in the pictures attached and the questions are:

Use the ASK6 to answer the following questions:

Using the lang model, answer the following questions

1 Do charter school students have lower average language ASK6 test scores than the tps students?

2 If the proportion of minority students increases by .2, what does predicted language scores change by?

3 What proportion of the variation in ASK6 scores does the model explain?

4 Predict the language score for a tps students in a school which has .3 minority, .7 economic disadvantaged students, 20 spendpup, average income of $50 and proportion of college grades=.1.

5 Do students in charter schools and tps have the same average math score?

6 Are average income and spending independent?

7 Dp tps have more minority students than the charter schools?

8 Are 40% of all students economically disadvantaged?

9 Is the average income of households the same for tps and charter school students?

10 Is the standard deviation of math scores and language scores the same?

photo-2.jpgphoto-3.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:
Any help is much appreciated.

I tried to figure out some of them based on some notes that I had and this is what I came up with so far:

photo-4.jpg

Let me know if its correct

Thanks

I don't generally reply to questions I know nothing about - but perhaps my ponderings of what the data represent could help?

The first attachment shows a (presumably symmetric) matrix with 1s on the diagonal and correlation coefficients between connecting eight variables:
lang, math, charter, minorpp, ecdispp, spendpup, incave, and colgradpp

Averaged over all 810 schools, lang = 206.92 ± 12.74
.....................................and math = 225.19 ± 18.83
with a correlation coefficient of 0.92 between them.
I suppose these are the scores from the ASK6 test.

The other six categories have much smaller means, and standard deviations that are of the same order of magnitude as the means. Some also have p-values. I don't know what any of those are.

At the bottom of that sheet is a comparison between 47 "charter" schools, and the other "tps" schools (763 of them). I thought that was where to look for the 1st question,
"1 Do charter school students have lower average language ASK6 test scores than the tps students?"
BUT the data don't include a row for "lang." Looking at "math," it appears to me that the difference between charter and tps is a small fraction of a standard deviation, and thus a "null hypothesis" that the scores are equal can not be rejected.

"2 If the proportion of minority students increases by .2, (i.e., 20%) what does predicted language scores change by?"
I read the correlation coefficient between "minor" and "lang" to be -0.752

20%*(0.72) --> 15% decrease of "lang"??
I see that you used numbers from the 2nd attachment for this question - I really don't know what those are.

In short, I haven't figured out what the model is. Question 4 may come closest to describing the model.
"4 Predict the language score for a tps students in a school which has .3 minority, .7 economic disadvantaged students, 20 spendpup, average income of $50 and proportion of college grades=.1."
There are six variables, and the model multiplies each variable by a parameter determined by a 6×6 linear regression from the data. That might begin to make sense - I can see where you got the numbers for question 4.

Good luck..