having trouble with a regression question

qwert

I'm new to this topic so I'm really unsure what to solve for this question. Basically im confused by the phrasing of the question

Obtain the least squares regression line of y on x for the following data.

What am I supposed to find ?
I've found the equation but I don't think that's what the question is asking for... Is it?

Just in case, the data is
x 10 12 8 13 12 11 11
y 27 41 27 32 34 26 38
The equation I found : y=10.8+1.94x

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Obtain the least squares regression line of y on x for the following data.

What am I supposed to find ?
"The least-squares regression line." What method(s) did they provide you (in class and in your textbook) for this process?

I've found the equation but I don't think that's what the question is asking for... Is it?
You've found "the equation" for what? What equation did you find? How did you find it? Why do you believe that "it" is not "what the question is asking for"?

Please be specific. Thank you! :wink:

"The least-squares regression line." What method(s) did they provide you (in class and in your textbook) for this process?

You've found "the equation" for what? What equation did you find? How did you find it? Why do you believe that "it" is not "what the question is asking for"?

Please be specific. Thank you! :wink:

Sorry for being unclear!
Basically, I have a problem with the phrasing of the question. Im not sure what kind of solution the question is expecting.
I wondering if the question is asking me to find the equation of the least squares regression line, which can be found easily by plugging the data into the graphic calculator.

Does the question
obtain the least squares regression line
have the same meaning as
find the equation of the least squares regression line?

Sorry if I made it even more unclear! ahh im so bad at explaining!
But thank you so much for the response! :)

Last edited:
Sorry for being unclear!
Basically, I have a problem with the phrasing of the question. Im not sure what kind of solution the question is expecting.
I wondering if the question is asking me to find the equation of the least squares regression line, which can be found easily by plugging the data into the graphic calculator.

> > > Does the question
obtain the least squares regression line
have the same meaning as
find the equation of the least squares regression line? < < <
It has the same intended meaning, but it should have been stated more clearly, as in: "Obtain the equation of the least squares regression line."