Simple question about frequency density

Shawna

Hello,

My question, which is more of a need for reassurance really, as I believe I understood the principle of frequency density, is:
If I am told to find the mode for a frequency table, and the class widths are unequal, I should straight away check the area and calc the density using a histogram. However, in case the widths are equal, I should go with the highest frequency value in the table, without the need to draw out the histogram. Is that correct?
Thank you very much

Last edited:
Hello,

My question, which is more of a need for reassurance really, as I believe I understood the principle of frequency density, is:
If I am told to find the mode for a frequency table, and the class widths are unequal, I should straight away check the area and calc the density using a histogram. However, in case the widths are equal, I should go with the highest frequency value in the table, without the need to draw out the histogram. Is that correct?
Thank you very much
Yes, that is correct. Area rules! Anywhere on a histogram, the area should be proportional to number of events.