Split - monomial

bronx.system

Any chance someone can confirm if this is a binomial or a monomial

2(a+b)

that is a monomial right? its just 1 term right because the a+b are in parentheses?

Last edited by a moderator:
oops typo

meant to say "just saw reply thank you"

btw

while this read is still up any chance someone can confirm if this is a binomial or a monomial

2(a+b)

that is a monomial right? its just 1 term right because the a+b are in parentheses?
It is a binomial because it involves two pronumerals, a and b.

You will eventually learn the binomial expansion for \(\displaystyle (a + b)^n.\)

\(\displaystyle (a + b)^0 = 1.\)

\(\displaystyle (a + b)^1 = a + b.\)

\(\displaystyle (a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2.\)

\(\displaystyle (a + b)^3 = a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3.\)

And so on, using Pascal's triangle.

icic

this might be dumb question but just making sure

so would a monomial be
2(a+5)

?

><

icic

this might be dumb question but just making sure

so would a monomial be
2(a+5)

?

><
Still a binomial - the plus sign shows there are two terms. One term is proportional to a, and the other is a constant. Thus, there are terms with two different names.

Another example of a binomial: 2a + a +16 - 5 + 3a
Can you see why that is a binomial?

Have you tried to look up the definition of monomial in your text-book?

What does it say?

@Subhotosh Khan i have but its confusing because it said that ak(x^2 - y^2) is monomial /=

Still a binomial - the plus sign shows there are two terms. One term is proportional to a, and the other is a constant. Thus, there are terms with two different names.

Another example of a binomial: 2a + a +16 - 5 + 3a
Can you see why that is a binomial?

yeah i think so

2a + a + 3a and 16 -5 are 2 groups of terms

awesome thanks for link.

but should i really stop using it? i like the way its laid out. Do you recommend any other algebra books?

Last edited:
awesome thanks for link.

but should i really stop using it? i like the way its laid out. Do you recommend any other algebra books?
Use whatever works for you. Just realize that this particular book seems to use words sometimes in a non-standard way. That may not interfere with the book's ability to teach, but it may interfere with your ability to communicate with others.

Another point - unless you plan to major in mathematics, these differences in definitions will not matter very much. I am a retired engineer - now teach engineering - I did not have to deal with exact definitions of the monomial, binomial, etc. except while taking test in high school algebra.

Knowing the definitions is useful when you are studying a scholarly paper written for (generally) advanced audience.