factoring 2 answers giving right answer

bronx.system

Not sure what im missing is my answer correct or a rule im not aware of?

factor the following:

q^2 - 5q + 6

my answer is (-q + 2)(-q + 3)

but book says (q - 3)(q - 2)

both answers give same answer right?

EDIT: i reread the chapter and cant find anything about it ><

Last edited:
Not sure what im missing is my answer correct or a rule im not aware of?

factor the following:

q^2 - 5q + 6

my answer is (-q + 2)(-q + 3)

but book says (q - 3)(q - 2)

both answers give same answer right?
(-1) * (-1) = 1, correct?

\(\displaystyle (-q + 2)(-q + 3) = \{(-1)(q - 2)\}\{(-1)(q - 3)\} = (-1)(-1)(q - 2)(q - 3) = 1 * (q - 2)(q - 3) = (q - 2)(q - 3).\) Identical meaning.

ok that makes sense is there any preference in answer or all are acceptable since all mean same thing?
like is it a bad habit to write it my way?

Last edited:
ok that makes sense is there any preference in answer or all are acceptable since all mean same thing?
like is it a bad habit to write it my way?
There is nothing technically wrong with the way you wrote it. There are frequently many valid ways to express an answer correctly. So when you think you have the right answer and the answer key differs, see whether some simple transformation takes you from one to the other.

As a matter of presentation, I think most people would write (q - 2)(q - 3) instead of (-q + 2)(- q + 3), but you need to understand what you are doing and why before worrying about what presentation a publisher requires.

is it a bad habit to write it my way?

Don't worry about that so much, right now. Your instructor will correct your bad habits (unless it's a machine; then, who knows).

After you've worked enough algebra exercises, you'll begin to recognize some standards, as well as variations of those standards. :)