Understanding a proof

iocal

Hi all,

I am looking for some help to understand a very important proof.

The theorem states that if plim (Xn) = α and the real function g is continuous at α. Then plim (g(Xn)) = g(α)
The proof is as following:

Let ε>0. Then since g is continuous at α, there exists a δ>0 such that if |x-α|< δ, then |g(x)-g(α)|< ε. Thus

|g(x)-g(α)|≥ ε |x-α| δ

Substituting Xn
for x in the above implication, we obtain:

P[|g(Xn)-g(α)|≥ε] ≤ P[|Xn-α|≥δ]

By hypothesis the last term goes to zero as n goes to infinity which gives us the result

I understand that the first part is from the definition of a continuous function, what I do not understand is how we get inequality sign in the middle after we substitute Xn for x. I am very puzzled and therefore any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am looking for some help to understand a very important proof.

The theorem states that if plim (Xn) = α and the real function g is continuous at α. Then plim (g(Xn)) = g(α)
The proof is as following:

Let ε>0. Then since g is continuous at α, there exists a δ>0 such that if |x-α|< δ, then |g(x)-g(α)|< ε. Thus

|g(x)-g(α)|≥ ε |x-α| δ

Substituting Xn
for x in the above implication, we obtain:

P[|g(Xn)-g(α)|≥ε] ≤ P[|Xn-α|≥δ]

By hypothesis the last term goes to zero as n goes to infinity which gives us the result

I understand that the first part is from the definition of a continuous function, what I do not understand is how we get inequality sign in the middle after we substitute Xn for x. I am very puzzled and therefore any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
It isn't the substitution that made the difference, it is interpreting the \(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\) operation.

If \(\displaystyle |g(x)-g(\alpha)|\geq \epsilon\) is true, then it is also necessarily true that \(\displaystyle |x-\alpha|\geq \delta\).

But, it is also possible for \(\displaystyle |x-\alpha|\geq \delta\) to be true even if
\(\displaystyle |g(x)-g(\alpha)|\geq \epsilon\) is false.

Thus the probability of
\(\displaystyle |g(x)-g(\alpha)|\geq \epsilon\)
is \(\displaystyle \leq\) the probability of \(\displaystyle |x-α|\geq \delta\).

It isn't the substitution that made the difference, it is interpreting the \(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\) operation.

If \(\displaystyle |g(x)-g(\alpha)|\geq \epsilon\) is true, then it is also necessarily true that \(\displaystyle |x-\alpha|\geq \delta\).

But, it is also possible for \(\displaystyle |x-\alpha|\geq \delta\) to be true even if
\(\displaystyle |g(x)-g(\alpha)|\geq \epsilon\) is false.

Thus the probability of
\(\displaystyle |g(x)-g(\alpha)|\geq \epsilon\)
is \(\displaystyle \leq\) the probability of \(\displaystyle |x-α|\geq \delta\).

That makes sense, thanks a lot.