Confused about adding polynomials

Crystal.P

Math is one of my least favorite subjects....But I really need help with Adding Polynomials!!:confused:

To add polynomials you have to place the terms whose variables are the same together and add them.
For example, if you want to add the polynomials \(\displaystyle 2x^2+8x+3 \) and \(\displaystyle 3x^2-2x-2 \) you have to do the following:
\(\displaystyle 2x^2+8x+3+3x^2-2x-2=2x^2+3x^2+8x-2x+3-2=(2+3)x^2+(8-2)x+(3-2)=5x^2+6x+1 \)

Math is one of my least favorite subjects....But I really need help with Adding Polynomials!!:confused:
You may have an expression that is a combination of an area, a line, and a pure number, like
3 sq.ft. + 12 ft. + 1

You can't simplify that by combining terms, because you can't combine an area with a line, etc. Likewise, if you add another expression with the same form, you can add together the terms that represent the same kind of thing: (sq.ft.+sq.ft). (ft.+ft.), and (number+number).

Stating that in the language of algebra, combine "like terms."

Do you have specific examples for which you can show us your work, so we can see where you are getting stuck?