Fractions

britney

The members of people on the school board is represented by x. Two subcommittees with an equal number of members are formed, one wit 2/3x-5 members and the other wit x/4 members. How many people are on the school board?

The members of people on the school board is represented by x. Two subcommittees with an equal number of members are formed, one wit 2/3x-5 members and the other wit x/4 members. How many people are on the school board?

Is it:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{2}{3x-5}\) OR

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{2}{3x} \ - \ 5\) OR

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{2}{3} * x \ - \ 5\)

Or something else......

Please share your work with us .

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

The two subcommitees have "an equal number of members". Set those two expressions equal to get an equation to solve for x.

The number of the members of people on the school board is represented by x.

Two subcommittees with an equal number of members are formed, one with (2/3)x - 5 members and the other with x/4 members.

How many people are on the school board?

Britney, if the quantities are as I have them in this quote box, then set them equal to each other (as was stated already in a different post) and solve for x.
You will have a linear equation, and the solution for x will be a positive integer, and the (same) value for each fraction will be a positive integer. *

* I know this, because I worked it out.