Data Analysis : Mean, Mode, Median Questions

KunKun

I knew how to find mean, mode and median values using the formulas. But I don't understand how the mean mode median values can be related to finding other type of values.

1. The table below shows the number of free movie tickets won by a group of students who participated in a lucky draw.

Number of free movie tickets012345
Number of students37y468

(a) If the mode is 2, find the smallest possible value of y.
(b) If the mode is 5, find the largest possible value of y.
(c) If the median is 3, find
(i) the largest possible value of y.
(ii) the smallest possible value of y.
(d) Given that the mean number of free movie tickets is 2.675, find the value of y.

2. The table below shows the number of five different types of concert ticket sold.

Price of each ticket$38$68$88$128$168
Number of ticket sold48211302427

(a) Find
(i) the modal price of the tickets,
(ii) the median price of the tickets,
(iii) mean price of the tickets.
(b) When two more tickets of the same price were sold, the mean price of the tickets became $89.51.
(i) Find the price of each extra ticket.
(ii) Find the minimum number of additional tickets that have to be sold so that the mode can be $128.

3. A survey was conducted to find out the number of children 30 married couples had. The table below shows the results of the survey.

Number of children0123456
Number of married couples3p752q5

(a) Show that p + q = 8.
(b) Given that the mean number of children is 2.5, show that 3p - 5q = 24.
(c) Hence, find the values of p and q.
(d) Find the
(i) modal number of children that the married couples had,
(ii) median number of children that the married couples had.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
This is not a "do all of my homework" website. This is a help website.

For part (a) of your first question, the mode of a set of numbers is the value occurring the most. If the mode is 2, then the value y must occur more than the others, given as 3,7,4,6,8. What values of y might make ​2 the mode?

Hi, sorry and thanks for the quick reply. But I do not understand the meaning of : If the mode is 2, then the value y must occur more than the others. The question was find the smallest possible value of y. It shouldn't be occurring as less as possible? Because they asked for smallest possible value.

In the following table 2 is the mode. Can you tell me why? Can you tell me the LEAST number of possible occurrences for 2 in order for 2 to still be the mode?

Number of free movie tickets012345
Number of students3713468

Because the question stated that the mode is 2, which is the number occurring the most.
As the current mode in the question table is 5, it must be greater than 8. Therefore the answer is 9.
Thanks for the help:)
What if they asked for largest value in (b)? How do I know which number I should take?

Of course assuming it means the mode, as in unique, then it couldn't exceed or be equal to the number of occurrences of 5. If it did 5 wouldn't be the mode.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

“Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” — Voltaire
I can't understand if the median is 2 than how to find the possible largest value of x

Are you referring to the problem in your own thread, rather than the one you asked about here?? Let's talk about it in that thread!