Help with putting together a linear equation

bluehoratio

Hi everyone,

I'm taking this college math class for the third time and am seriously close to failing. I'm in my final week and am struggling to re-do homework from last week. I have 69 out of 100 points on one of my modules and if I don't try to get at least 90 % on it, I'm doomed.

Here is the problem:

According to a census, there were 62 people per square mile (this is called the population density) in a certain country in 1980. By 2000, the number of people per square mile had grown to 94. Use this information to develop a linear equation in slope-intercept form. In developing the equation, think of 1980 as year zero.

Let x be the time in years and let y be the population density. Write a linear equation in slope-intercept form to model the given information.

My answer was 8/5x+62, which is wrong. Here is what I did to come to this answer:

X=0, y=62
x=20, y=94

m=94-62/20-0 = 32/20 = 8/5 = 1 3/5 - slope
y intercept is 62 (b=62)

y=8/5x+62

I don't understand this type of math at all and quite honestly, I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right spot. Any help would be appreciated. I could use a lot of help on the rest of my homework. My boyfriend attempted to help me, but was stumped as well. This is one of the least difficult problems I have left to do. I put together the above attempt according to the example directions given for the problem.

Thanks,
Beth

Hi everyone,

I'm taking this college math class for the third time and am seriously close to failing. I'm in my final week and am struggling to re-do homework from last week. I have 69 out of 100 points on one of my modules and if I don't try to get at least 90 % on it, I'm doomed.

Here is the problem:

According to a census, there were 62 people per square mile (this is called the population density) in a certain country in 1980. By 2000, the number of people per square mile had grown to 94. Use this information to develop a linear equation in slope-intercept form. In developing the equation, think of 1980 as year zero.

Let x be the time in years and let y be the population density. Write a linear equation in slope-intercept form to model the given information.

My answer was 8/5x+62, which is wrong. Here is what I did to come to this answer:

X=0, y=62
x=20, y=94

m=94-62/20-0 = 32/20 = 8/5 = 1 3/5 - slope
y intercept is 62 (b=62)

y=8/5x+62

I don't understand this type of math at all and quite honestly, I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right spot. Any help would be appreciated. I could use a lot of help on the rest of my homework. My boyfriend attempted to help me, but was stumped as well. This is one of the least difficult problems I have left to do. I put together the above attempt according to the example directions given for the problem.

Thanks,
Beth

Who is saying this is incorrect? It looks correct to me.

Perhaps if you wrote it as y= (8/5)x+ 62, whoever is telling you it is wrong would change his mind. What you wrote might be interpreted as y= 8/(5x)+ 62.

Who is saying this is incorrect? It looks correct to me.

When I answer problems in the online module, I get anywhere from 1 to 3 tries to answer it correctly. I've attempted to answer it with this answer and one other variation twice, so I have one more try to get it correct.

Perhaps if you wrote it as y= (8/5)x+ 62, whoever is telling you it is wrong would change his mind. What you wrote might be interpreted as y= 8/(5x)+ 62.

I have one final try and will try putting it in this way. If it isn't right, they'll give me a similar, but different problem. : )

I have one final try and will try putting it in this way. If it isn't right, they'll give me a similar, but different problem. : )

Just to let you know, plugging it in that way worked. Thank you. Now it seems silly that I asked for help. : )