Simple Probabilty Question (That I am struggling with!)

tfs985

Hi guys, I have a (seemingly) simple probability question that I am struggling to figure out. It goes like this:

If you set 2 alarm clocks, and there is a 90% chance that either alarm clock will wake you up, what is the probability that you will oversleep?

When I apply the law of addition and the law of addition for mutually exclusive events, I get a number larger than 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi guys, I have a (seemingly) simple probability question that I am struggling to figure out. It goes like this:
If you set 2 alarm clocks, and there is a 90% chance that either alarm clock will wake you up, what is the probability that you will oversleep?

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(C_1\cup C_2)=\mathcal{P}(C_1)+\mathcal{P}(C_2)-\mathcal{P}(C_1\cap C_2)\)

OR \(\displaystyle 1-\mathcal{P}(C_1\cup C_2)'\)

Binomial Distribution Question

I was looking for more Statistics problems to prepare for an upcoming test. I solved the 2 alarm clock problem with the following

n= 2, p=.90, and figured that q=.10

M= (2)(.90) = 1.8
standard deviation is square root of (2)(.90)(.10) = .424

I was looking for more Statistics problems to prepare for an upcoming test. I solved the 2 alarm clock problem with the following
M= (2)(.90) = 1.8

@HeidiO, please start a new thread with a new question.
You have no right to hijack someone else's thread.

Please read the forum rules before you precede.

M= (2)(.90) = 1.8
So what answer did you get (most of what you wrote has nothing to do with the problem).