Socks in a drawer

pfly

Hi
I have a tricky problem my teacher gave our class.

A draw contains an unsorted collection of black, navy, white, and brown coloured socks. If socks are taken at random, one at a time, what is the minimum number which must be taken to be certain of finding five matching pairs?

He gave us the answer of 13, but I can't see how?
Couldn't you just keep drawing one color forever?

thanks

Hi
I have a tricky problem my teacher gave our class.

A draw contains an unsorted collection of black, navy, white, and brown coloured socks. If socks are taken at random, one at a time, what is the minimum number which must be taken to be certain of finding five matching pairs?

He gave us the answer of 13, but I can't see how?
Couldn't you just keep drawing one color forever?

thanks
If you draw one color "forever," then you will have five matched pairs on ten draws.

There are four colors. If you have an odd number of a color, you have an unpaired sock. The most unpaired you can have is 3 of the 4 colors. That makes the minimum to be certain to have 5 pairs is 10+3 = 13.

If you draw one color "forever," then you will have five matched pairs on ten draws.

There are four colors. If you have an odd number of a color, you have an unpaired sock. The most unpaired you can have is 3 of the 4 colors. That makes the minimum to be certain to have 5 pairs is 10+3 = 13.

Ahh...ok. I read it as five different color pairs. Ok your solution makes sense.

Is there a way to solve it if the problem is the way I imagined it?

Ahh...ok. I read it as five different color pairs. Ok your solution makes sense.

Is there a way to solve it if the problem is the way I imagined it?
No solution, unless you know the (finite) number of socks of each color.