Sum of random variables

womp3

So the question states:

"Let X and Y be independent random variables, each exponentially distributed with parameter lambda. Find the density function and the distribution function of X + Y ."

I mostly understand what density and distribution functions are but I never learned how to calculate them from such little information. The only hint that was given said that "the probability density function of the sum of two independent random variables X and Y, with the respective probability density functions fx and fy, is given by the formula: fx+y(t) = integral from -infinity to +infinity of fx(s)*fy(t-s)*ds"

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

So the question states:

"Let X and Y be independent random variables, each exponentially distributed with parameter lambda. Find the density function and the distribution function of X + Y ."

I mostly understand what density and distribution functions are but I never learned how to calculate them from such little information. The only hint that was given said that "the probability density function of the sum of two independent random variables X and Y, with the respective probability density functions fx and fy, is given by the formula: fx+y(t) = integral from -infinity to +infinity of fx(s)*fy(t-s)*ds"

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

google convolution

OK. I used convolution for the density function. Do I also use that for the distribution function or just add the functions normally?

OK. I used convolution for the density function. Do I also use that for the distribution function or just add the functions normally?

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you think the difference between density functions and distributions is? A continuous distribution function is a probability density function.

If X is distributed as pX(s) and Y as pY(s) then if Z = X + Y, then Z will have the distribution function given by pX(s) convolved with pY(s)

This by the way is the formula you mentioned in your original post.