Compound Interest: How do I mind the APY of this problem

JasonQuinn92

Compound Interest: How do I find the APY of this problem?

Hello everyone,

I am working on a compound interest homework assignment and am stuck on the following question,

Question: The Pawn Shop made a loan of $130 and was paid back $442 after 1 year. What is the APY?

Below is Here is my work and answer: I believe I did the work correct in order to get the answer by the APY seems way to high, can someone please check my work and explain to me how to set this up and solve it?

I=Prt

PV=$130
FV=442
T=1 Year

130+130x=442
-130 -130

130x = 312

312/130 equals 2.4 so x=2.4 converted to a percent would be 240%

so my answer is APY=240%

Thank you for any help on this question

Last edited:
Question: The Pawn Shop made a loan of $130 and was paid back $442 after 1 year. What is the APY?
Holy cripes! More than three hundred bucks in interest on a hundred-thirty buck loan -- for just one year?!? Wow. :shock:

...the APY seems way to high....
For a bank, yes. For a pawn-shop, maybe not.

Tip: Try to find a different source, when you need to borrow small amounts for short periods. Even cash advances on credit cards aren't this bad!

can someone please check my work and explain to me how to set this up and solve it?

I=Prt

PV=$130
FV=442
T=1 Year
Are you using "T" in place of "t" in "I = Prt", or does "T" stand for something else? (Standard math notation says that "T" should be different, but I don't see it defined anywhere, is why I ask.)

130+130x=442
What is "x"?

-130 -130

130x = 312

so my answer is APY=240%
How is "APY" being defined? (Usually one uses "APR", or "annual percentage rate", which itself has multiple definitions, and "APY", or "annual percentage yield", is defined differently, is why I ask.)

Thank you! ;)

Hello everyone,

I am working on a compound interest homework assignment and am stuck on the following question,

Below is Here is my work and answer: I believe I did the work correct in order to get the answer by the APY seems way to high, can someone please check my work and explain to me how to set this up and solve it?

I=Prt

PV=$130
FV=442
T=1 Year

130+130x=442
-130 -130

130x = 312

so my answer is APY=240%

Thank you for any help on this question
You are correct if you are using the standard definition of APY, but that is not usually used for rates on loans.