AP Statistics - standard deviation

srv96

Ronald scores 700 on the math section of the SAT exam. The distribution of SAT scores is approximately normal with a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. Rubin takes the ACT math exam and scores 31 on the math portion. ACT scores are approximately normally with a mean of 18 and a standard deviation of 6. A) Relative to their peers who also took the tests, who performed better on his test? Explain B) A certain school will only consider those students who score in the top 1% in the math section. What grades would ronald and rubin have to receive on their respective tests to be considered for admission? C) Between what two grades does 95% of the population fall for the ACT and SAT exams?

Ronald scores 700 on the math section of the SAT exam. The distribution of SAT scores is approximately normal with a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. Rubin takes the ACT math exam and scores 31 on the math portion. ACT scores are approximately normally with a mean of 18 and a standard deviation of 6. A) Relative to their peers who also took the tests, who performed better on his test? Explain B) A certain school will only consider those students who score in the top 1% in the math section. What grades would ronald and rubin have to receive on their respective tests to be considered for admission? C) Between what two grades does 95% of the population fall for the ACT and SAT exams?
How far have you gotten in working with the z-scores, etc?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

How far have you gotten in working with the z-scores, etc?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Honestly, we have yet to touch upon on standard deviation/z-scores. This question is extra credit. My teacher always gives out questions like these before we learn about the actual topic to see if we could possibly figure out the answer and at the same time earn these extra points. I looked up the standard deviation chapter in the textbook but I am confused as to how I would use the z-score formula and the graph. I desperately need this points. Any guidance would be truly appreciated :)

Honestly, we have yet to touch upon on standard deviation/z-scores. This question is extra credit....
Any guidance would be truly appreciated
For "guidance", try online lessons, such as here and here. ;)