outliers in box and whisker plot

kshuf

Hello fellow math lovers LOL, ok maybe Im not quite a math lover yet, But I am trying!! I am about 1/4 of the way into a stats course, all online with no support and my tutor has not been overly helpful. I am getting stuck a lot, but am finding if I go over and over the readings, examples ect, I do eventualy get it... but this particular issue has me stumped. I have been accused of overthinking things so perhaps I am looking for a big answer when it is sitting quite simply in front of me, but either way I need some help..

So I have this box and whiskers plot to look at and answer some basic questions. the trouble is... the plots in my text books all had the whiskers extending from the min to max entry, and the box displays the rest of the info you need pretty clearly, ie the Q1, median, Q3 etc. the whisker extends to the left to the least entry and to the right to the max entry... ya follow? Now on this one in my asignmnet sheet from my tutor has the box, two little whiskers and then three asterisk to the far left, I am assuming those asterisk represent outliers in the data set. But the whiskers on the box are bilateraly drawn in, they are perfectly even. But only extend about less than 1/4 of the way on the left towards the asteris (the outliers) So my question is...do I assume the whisker on the right side is at the max entry in order to find the range of the data set??

oh man I hope this makes sense...

Kathy

Hi Kathy:

Box-and-whisker plots come in different varieties. Are you able to attach an image?

Cheers :cool:

thank you for replying. I did get this sorted with the help of my teacher.