'1 in five' stat..

bite_tony

Hi, im sure this is pretty basic stuff, but im having a complete mental block on how to work it out..i need a statistic which follows the example of 'one in three people will get a divorce'. Except I want to know how many people voted in the UK in 2001. The data I have is: 63.2 mill=Population of UK, and 59% voter turnout. Can anyone help at all?

Hi, im sure this is pretty basic stuff, but im having a complete mental block on how to work it out..i need a statistic which follows the example of 'one in three people will get a divorce'. Except I want to know how many people voted in the UK in 2001. The data I have is: 63.2 mill=Population of UK, and 59% voter turnout. Can anyone help at all?
Are you saying that you're trying to find out how much is 59% of 63.2 million, but are getting stuck at the one-step multiplication? ;)

Are you saying that you're trying to find out how much is 59% of 63.2 million, but are getting stuck at the one-step multiplication? ;)
Nope, I can do that, im trying to express it as a stat which makes it a bit more real, e.g 'only one in ten people voted'

Nope, I can do that, im trying to express it as a stat which makes it a bit more real, e.g 'only one in ten people voted'
So... round up a bit, and convert to a "how-ever many of every five people" stat. ;)

Stapels point is that \(\displaystyle 60\%= 0.6= \frac{6}{10}= \frac{3}{5}\).

\(\displaystyle 59\%= 0.59= \frac{59}{100}\) doesn't simplify nearly that well!

Last edited: