Permutations and Computations help

rickrossticle1213

Hi all, I have this three part problem that's really got me stumped, below is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
A club consists of 15 people including Amy, Dan, Jake, Josh, Jared, Zachary, Sara, and Steve. From the 15 members a president, vice president and treasurer will be selected at random. An advisory committee of 5 other individuals will then be selected at random.
a. Determine the probability that 3 of the 8 individuals named are selected for the three officers positions.
b. Assuming that 3 of the 8 individuals named are selected for the officers positions, determine the probability that the other 5 are selected for the advisory board.
c. Determine the probability that 3 of the 8 individuals named are selected for the three officers positions and that the other 5 are selected for the advisory board.

Now for part a. I've come up with ( 8P3 / 15P3 ) x ( 5C5 / 12C5 )= 1/6435... if my calculations and use of formulas is correct, i think I've got this one right, however i'm unsure of how to go about completing b and c. Any help or insight on how to go about finishing up this problem would really be appreciated!

Hi all, I have this three part problem that's really got me stumped, below is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
A club consists of 15 people including Amy, Dan, Jake, Josh, Jared, Zachary, Sara, and Steve. From the 15 members a president, vice president and treasurer will be selected at random. An advisory committee of 5 other individuals will then be selected at random.
a. Determine the probability that 3 of the 8 individuals named are selected for the three officers positions.
b. Assuming that 3 of the 8 individuals named are selected for the officers positions, determine the probability that the other 5 are selected for the advisory board.
c. Determine the probability that 3 of the 8 individuals named are selected for the three officers positions and that the other 5 are selected for the advisory board.

Now for part a. I've come up with ( 8P3 / 15P3 ) x ( 5C5 / 12C5 )= 1/6435... if my calculations and use of formulas is correct, i think I've got this one right, however i'm unsure of how to go about completing b and c. Any help or insight on how to go about finishing up this problem would really be appreciated!

I have tried to post corrections to this. each time I get a server error. What is going on.

I have tried to post corrections to this. each time I get a server error. What is going on.

I had problems posting this problem myself, it became very frustrating. is it possible to post a solution in a word document then attach it to a post? I've become just short of fried from grilling over how to solve part's b and c.

I had problems posting this problem myself, it became very frustrating. is it possible to post a solution in a word document then attach it to a post? I've become just short of fried from grilling over how to solve part's b and c.

This has nothing to do with me whatsoever. Here is a plain text file. To understand it one needs to know LaTeX.

Attachments

• temp.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 13
This has nothing to do with me whatsoever. Here is a plain text file. To understand it one needs to know LaTeX.

Ah, I've heard of LaTeX, actually I almost spent some time familiarizing myself with it a while back. Thanks for the response pka!

Hi pka:

This thread has issues; I cannot post your ASCII text, either.

Here's your LaTex (retyped).

For part c you need \(\displaystyle \mathcal P \left({A \cap B}\right) = \mathcal P \left({A|B}\right) \; \mathcal P \left({A}\right)\)

I'll send Ted a note.