writing equations of lines

agnes

Using a point and slope i must write the line of the equation in y=mx+b form. The point is (2,8), and slope is 0. So i plug it into, y=m(x-xcoordinate)+ycoordinate. Y=0(x-3)+8. And that is y=8. My question is couldnt the equation also be x=2?
Thanks

Using a point and slope i must write the line of the equation in y=mx+b form. The point is (2,8), and slope is 0. So i plug it into, y=m(x-xcoordinate)+ycoordinate. Y=0(x-3)+8. And that is y=8. My question is couldnt the equation also be x=2?
The answer is no.

\(\displaystyle y=8\) is a horizontal line with slope, \(\displaystyle m=0\).

Whereas, \(\displaystyle x=2\) is a vertical line with no slope.

The answer is no.

\(\displaystyle y=8\) is a horizontal line with slope, \(\displaystyle m=0\).

Whereas, \(\displaystyle x=2\) is a vertical line with no slope.
If it helps, a slope of zero is like a sandwich baggie with nothing in it, while "no slope" is like no baggie at all. ;)

Thanks

slope is the tangent of the angle beteween the straight line and the positive direction of x axis. Y =8 has an undefined slope where u hav mentioned that the slope the line is zero. Thank u.

must write [using] y=mx+b form

couldnt [it] also be x=2?

The form y=mx+b has symbol y isolated on the left-hand side of the equation.

The equation x=2 does not even contain symbol y, so it can't be the same form. :cool:

Y = 8 has an undefined slope \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \) <---------

where u hav mentioned that the slope the line is zero.

chandra1,

no, y = 8 has a zero slope. Or, stated another way, it has a slope of zero.