Probability

chip1066

Can someone help please with the following thank you,

What is the probability that out of 20 events 16 will be successful but not more than 19

the formula given for this is the following :-

where x1 = k1-n*p/ sqrt (n*p*q) x2 = k2-n*p/ sqrt (n*p*q)

Using the equation P k1, k2 (A) = P (x2) - P(x1)

Can someone help please with the following thank you,
What is the probability that out of 20 events 16 will be successful but not more than 19
the formula given for this is the following :-
where x1 = k1-n*p/ sqrt (n*p*q) x2 = k2-n*p/ sqrt (n*p*q
Using the equation P k1, k2 (A) = P (x2) - P(x1)

I have absolutely no ides what any of that means.

Is this simple binomial probability where p is probability of success and q=1-p?

Hello thank you for your reply ,I'm afraid it is not simple binomial but more advanced Probability
I have provided an image of the formula given I hope you can help,

probability.jpg

Attachments

• probability.png
    probability.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
Hello thank you for your reply ,I'm afraid it is not simple binomial but more advanced Probability I have provided an image of the formula given I hope you can help,
View attachment 4122
You are correct, even after thirty years of teaching university level probability I still have no idea what that question means. So I guess one could call it advanced. BUT I would call it idiosyncratic question. That is, who ever posed this question has a very particular non-standand solution in mind.

Hello again and I really am grateful for any help,
but I can only provide what was given I'm afraid
and after looking again at the paper,
Yes p is the probability of success and q is 1-p
and that was the formula provided to calculate
thank you once again for your reply

Hello and thanks to everyone who viewed this thread and to those who gave any input,
I was trying to help out a friend who had this maths problem to calculate,there was however a constant value
which was not made clear initially and using the formula given was easily calculated once the constant was provided so problem now solved