Random Allocation Question - Can anyone offer advice?

drummersdale

Hello,

I am trying to establish how random a random allocation process has been for entry into my daughters secondary school in the UK.

The school allows for 150 new entrants each year, 15 of which are allowed under Music aptitude if they reach a pass mark of 75% or over, the remainder under other criteria, leaving 55 places to be allocated to everyone else.

I know there were 9 pupils who got allocated a place under random allocation who took the music test but failed to reach the pass mark.

Overall there were 521 applicants for places.

So to recap:-

521 applied

95 got places for various other criteria

55 were allocated a place through random allocation

I don't know the figure for those who took the music test overall - so let's say half - 260.

I am trying to establish whether there was a flaw in the programme that favoured those who had taken the Music test - is there any way of determining that from these figures?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards

What do you mean by a "flaw" in the random process? The designated numbers were allowed in under the designated categorizations. Are you saying that you think that, despite the outcome, the final fifty-five were not actually chosen randomly? If so, on what basis?

Please be specific. Thank you! ;)