Help: Factor the following Cubic Polynomial

MacaroniMarconi

Hi, I'm having some serious trouble with the below problem.

Factor the following cubic polynomial. Identify parts:

x^3+6x^2y+12xy^2+8y^3=

As you can see there is no GCF for the whole equation, and grouping doesn't work. I am truly lost here and it's for a test on Monday. I know from a previous problem that the final factored form is (x+2y)^3 but I can't seem to get there.

Thanks!

x^3+6x^2y+12xy^2+8y^3=

As you can see there is no GCF for the whole equation, and grouping doesn't work. I am truly lost here and it's for a test on Monday. I know from a previous problem that the final factored form is (x+2y)^3 but I can't seem to get there.

Thanks!

It is a standard formula. You should remember it !!

(a + b)3 = a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3

In your case

a = x and b = 2y

It is a standard formula. You should remember it !!

(a + b)3 = a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3

In your case

a = x and b = 2y

This is great, thank you so much. I have the formula written down and highlighted now. If you don't mind a quick clarification for me; there are no other steps it's just the (a + b)3 = a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3
and the formula would be the identification that they're asking for?

there are no other steps[?]

it's just the (a + b)3 = a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3

The other steps come first (i.e., recognizing the pattern of a binomial expansion, and then figuring out the coefficients).

Look at the form of the given expression, written like so and ignoring the coefficients:

x3y0 + x2y1 + x1y2 + x0y3

See how the powers of x decrease from 3 to 0, while the powers of y increase from 0 to 3?

This is a clue indicating that the factored form is (x +Ay)^3 for some constant A.

the formula would be the identification that they're asking for?

I don't know what their meaning is for "Identify parts".

x^3+6x^2y+12xy^2+8y^3=

Thanks!

May be the solution should look like:

x3 + 6x2y + 12xy2 + 8y3

= x3 + 3 * x2 * (2y) + 3 * x * (2y)2 + (2y)3

= (x + 2y)3

If I were doing this problem, the first thing I would do is notice that \(\displaystyle 8y^3= (2y)^3\). That would lead me to think in terms of "2y" and then it would be easy to see that \(\displaystyle 12xy^2= 3x(4y^2)= 3x(2y)^2\). And then I would see that \(\displaystyle 6x^2y= 3x^2(2y)\) leading to the "exact cubic" the others have referred to.