Algebraic Fractions

Mark01

Hi All,

I was searching the last few days for some help on Algebra, I have a maths test every friday for the next 10 weeks (Computer Science Degree) Maths is definatly not my strong point but I hope i can get through these 12 weeks. I have been watching youtube channels but I Thought being able to interact on a forum would be the best option.

I have signed up to ask some questions and hopefully grasp the methods I need to learn so any help I would really appreciate!

My First exam on Fractions I came out with 7/8, my second Exam was on Algebra I came out with 5/8 and it is only going to get harder.

We are moving on to Algebraic Fractions, the first problem i've encountered is;

4/12 + 8x would the answer on this be; 1 / 3 + 8x

I've got this as I have cancelled out the common factors so 1 * 4 / 1 * 3 * 4 + 2 * 4 * x

I am confused as weather to chane the 8x to 2x or does it stay as 8x due to the common factors being used up?

Any help would be great!

Hi All,

I was searching the last few days for some help on Algebra, I have a maths test every friday for the next 10 weeks (Computer Science Degree) Maths is definatly not my strong point but I hope i can get through these 12 weeks. I have been watching youtube channels but I Thought being able to interact on a forum would be the best option.

I have signed up to ask some questions and hopefully grasp the methods I need to learn so any help I would really appreciate!

My First exam on Fractions I came out with 7/8, my second Exam was on Algebra I came out with 5/8 and it is only going to get harder.

We are moving on to Algebraic Fractions, the first problem i've encountered is;

4/12 + 8x would the answer on this be; 1 / 3 + 8x

I've got this as I have cancelled out the common factors so 1 * 4 / 1 * 3 * 4 + 2 * 4 * x

I am confused as weather to chane the 8x to 2x or does it stay as 8x due to the common factors being used up?

Any help would be great!

Does your problem look like:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{4}{12 + 8x}\) ...................................(1)

or does it look like:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{4}{12} \ + \ 8x\)...............................(2)

The answer will depend on the form

Does your problem look like:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{4}{12 + 8x}\) ...................................(1)

or does it look like:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{4}{12} \ + \ 8x\)...............................(2)

The answer will depend on the form

Hi Khan,

Sorry my problem looks like this;

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{4}{12 + 8x}\)

I've been working on these fraactions all morning, look back this is my answer I got?

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3 +2x}\)

Thank you for the reply.

Hi Khan,

I've been working on these fraactions all morning, look back this is my answer I got?

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3 +2x}\) ..................... This is correct

Thank you for the reply.

Hi Khan,

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3 +2x}\)

Thank you for the reply.
\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{12+ 8x}= \frac{4}{4(3)+ 4(2x)}= \frac{4}{4(3+ 2x)}= \frac{1}{3+ 2x}\)

(You should have written your original form as "4/(12+ 8x)". "4/12+ 8x literally means "(4/12)+ 8x= 1/3+ 8x".)