URGENT mean, variance and standard deviation

lizzy_m

Hello,

Please can somebody help me with this question. I am getting a different answer to the one provided by my university's mock paper. Please can somebody complete and tell me what answer you get:

What are the mean, variance and standard deviation for this sample of 5 height measurements (cm): 172, 185, 155, 162, 145

I am getting 190.6 for the variance and 13.8 for the standard deviation but according to my answer sheet this is incorrect?? Any help please? I need to know if I have been given a duff answer sheet or if I haven't quite grasped the method....

Last edited:
Hello,

Please can somebody help me with this question. I am getting a different answer to the one provided by my university's mock paper. Please can somebody complete and tell me what answer you get:

What are the mean, variance and standard deviation for this sample of 5 height measurements (cm): 172, 185, 155, 162, 145

I am getting 190.6 for the variance and 13.8 for the standard deviation but according to my answer sheet this is incorrect?? Any help please? I need to know if I have been given a duff answer sheet or if I haven't quite grasped the method....

I am getting different answer using MS_EXCEL. What method did you use to calculate the variance?

I've calculated the mean, then deducted the difference of the values from the mean. I've then squared each difference and divided the total by 5 (number of values)

I've calculated the mean, then deducted the difference of the values from the mean. I've then squared each difference and divided the total by 5 (number of values)

What did you get for the mean? Perchance about 164.5? (Which is wrong BTW)