Need help with world problem

Eminem

A fruit company delivers its fruit in two types of boxes: large and small. A delivery of 2 large boxes and 3 small boxes has a total weight of 47 kilograms. A delivery of 6 large boxes and 5 small boxes has a total weight of 115 kilograms. How much does each type of box weigh?

I tried making a proportion out of this, but to no avail the answer was incorrect. I need some assistance!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A fruit company delivers its fruit in two types of boxes: large and small. A delivery of 2 large boxes and 3 small boxes has a total weight of 47 kilograms. A delivery of 6 large boxes and 5 small boxes has a total weight of 115 kilograms. How much does each type of box weigh?

I tried making a proportion out of this, but to no avail the answer was incorrect. I need some assistance!

Thanks!
Let "L" be the weight of a large box and "S" the weight of a small box.

"A shipment of 2 large boxes and 3 small boxes weighs 47 kilograms": 2L+ 3S= 47.
"A shipment of 6 large boxes and 5 small boxes weights 115 kilograms": 6L+ 5S= 115.

You want to solve the "simultaneous equations" 2L+ 3S= 47 and 6L+ 5S= 115. I notice that the coefficient of "L" in the second equation is 6, exactly three times the coefficient of "L" in the first equation. If you multiply the first equation by 3 it becomes 6L+ 9S= 141. Now subtract the second equation, 6L+ 5S= 114, from that: (6L- 6L)+ (9S- 5S)= 141- 115. The "L" terms cancel leaving 4S= 26.

Unless you can have "half a box", that is impossible!

Last edited by a moderator: