What is the probability of buying Dell in the next 6 months?

blueblue

Can someone please help me with this question? I'm not sure if I should use conditional probability or consider these as independent and jus multiply 7% with 88% to get percentage of 18% that will buy Dell computer in the next 6months?

A segment size is 18% of the sample. 88% of the segment will buy a laptop within next 6months, 7% ofthe segment will buy Dell and 36% of the segment will buy knock offs. What isthe probability of buying Dell in the next 6months?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are including the assumption that your "segment" is representative of your population, and you are saying that "7% of those who buy a computer will buy Dell", then, yes, multiply .07 and .88. However, you just said "7% of the segment will buy Dell". If that is correct, then your answer is "7%"!

(And why is anything but a Dell a "knock off"? I would hardly call an IBM or Apple computer a "knock off"!)

If you are including the assumption that your "segment" is representative of your population, and you are saying that "7% of those who buy a computer will buy Dell", then, yes, multiply .07 and .88. However, you just said "7% of the segment will buy Dell". If that is correct, then your answer is "7%"!

(And why is anything but a Dell a "knock off"? I would hardly call an IBM or Apple computer a "knock off"!)

Thank you very much. I was confused because it says that 88% will buy a laptop and 7% of the whole segment ( not of those 88%) prefer Dell.
And, I think knock offs relate to Dell knock offs, not to Apple or IBM

Thanks again