Testing to see if any statistical difference

Ludwik

Hi,

I'm looking at the number of calls a person makes before they make a sale. I want to compare the average number of calls per sale between the morning shift and afternoon shift. There are a number of factors which result in a varying figure each day - least of all those dialling on a given time.

I want to see if there is any statistical difference between the averages. How do I go about doing this? What Statistical test should I use? The numbers dialled vary each shift.

Can you please help?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm looking at the number of calls a person makes before they make a sale. I want to compare the average number of calls per sale between the morning shift and afternoon shift. There are a number of factors which result in a varying figure each day - least of all those dialling on a given time.

I want to see if there is any statistical difference between the averages. How do I go about doing this? What Statistical test should I use? The numbers dialled vary each shift.

Can you please help?

Thanks,
Ludwik

What are your thoughts?

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

Please share your work with us ... even if you know it is wrong

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Is this a real life problem or Homework problem?

What are your thoughts?

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

Please share your work with us ... even if you know it is wrong

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Is this a real life problem or Homework problem?

This is a real life problem.

I'm really not that sure what is the best way. I'm thinking of using the average number of calls before a complete as my average. Use the total number of dials as n. Work out p by doing n / average. Variance as np(1-p). Do this for both morning and afternoon. Use Normal Distribution approximation two-tailed test to find out the region for which the region where probability is < 0.05.