Set Notation A n (B u C)

andremac1996

Just a bit stuck here

Set A = x,y,x
Set B = x,y
Set C = x

So is A n (B u C) the NULL set as in its empty ?

Thanks

Just a bit stuck here

Set A = x,y,x
Set B = x,y
Set C = x

Thanks
Go back to the definitions.
What does AB mean: It is the set of those elements which are either in A, or in B, or in both A and B.

What does AB mean: It is the set that contains all those elements that are in both A and B.

Take it one step at a time. First do (B u C). The do A n (B u C).

Just a bit stuck here

Set A = x,y,x
Set B = x,y
Set C = x
What does your book mean when it says that sets (such as "Set A") are "equal" to lists of elements (such as "x, y, x")? Why, in the case of Set A, is "x" repeated? The usual set notation would say something more like "Set A = {x, y, z}" or "Set A = {x, y}", rather than what you've posted, is why I ask.

What are the elements of B-union-C? (Please write out what you get for this.) What are the elements, if any, of the intersection of A with the result you just go? (Please write out your results for this, too.) Is this "nothing", or something else? ;)

So here is my interpretation (I'm not the original poster but I'm trying to learn this material in school)

B u C= {x,y}

A= {x,y,z}

Therefore

A n (B u C)
= A n {x,y}
= {x,y} n {x,y}
= {x,y}

So here is my interpretation (I'm not the original poster but I'm trying to learn this material in school)

B u C= {x,y}

A= {x,y,z}

Therefore

A n (B u C)
= A n {x,y}
= {x,y} n {x,y} You have the wrong set for A here since A= {x,y,z} and not {x,y,}
= {x,y}
You luckily arrived at the correct answer since you wrote the wrong set for A. Of course it could have been a typo on your part.