Total Probability of Two Independent Events

Gralayer

Let's say that one event has a 20% chance of happening, and another event has a 40% chance of happening.
Both events are completely RNG.
The events are independent, and both can happen at the same time, but they don't have to.
What are the chances of either event happening, combined?
How do I calculate such a thing? Would the same calculation apply if there were 3 independent events that I was calculating for?

Let's say that one event has a 20% chance of happening, and another event has a 40% chance of happening.
The events are independent, and both can happen at the same time, but they don't have to.
How do I calculate such a thing? Would the same calculation apply if there were 3 independent events that I was calculating for?
What does "Both events are completely RNG." mean?

Assuming that the "Both events are completely RNG." just means "both events are random", you can treat this as two unfair dice for a match/don't match problem.
H = Happens
D = Doesn't Happen
(One H, Two H) = 0.2 * 0.8 = 0.16
(One H, Two D) = 0.2 * 0.2 = 0.04
(One D, Two H) = 0.8 * 0.8 = 0.64
(One D, Two D) = 0.8 * 0.2 = 0.16

I get the following.
p(1,2) =0.2*0.4
p(1,2') =0.2*0.6
p(1',2) =0.8*0.4
p(1',2')=0.8*0.6

I get the following.
p(1,2) =0.2*0.4
p(1,2') =0.2*0.6
p(1',2) =0.8*0.4
p(1',2')=0.8*0.6
That's only if you do the problem as indicated and don't just make up a problem no matter what the facts. Of course, if you do that, you don't always provide help. In fact, you might even lead to more confusion:oops:

Of course I could just claim that I was providing an example so they could work out the problem but I'm not sure I would be believed.

That's only if you do the problem as indicated and don't just make up a problem no matter what the facts. Of course, if you do that, you don't always provide help. In fact, you might even lead to more confusion:oops:

Of course I could just claim that I was providing an example so they could work out the problem but I'm not sure I would be believed.
I did not realize that you were giving an example and just did not want the student to be more confused. Thanks!

I did not realize that you were giving an example and just did not want the student to be more confused. Thanks!

Oh, you believed me. Thank you but I was being facetious. I did make the mistake in the first place.