applied Stats questions related w/ general concepts. needs Comprehensive explanation

craigchen

:eek: guys take a look, and it's urgent, help is in need and appreciated.

1. Recent research provides evidence that brushing your teeth with baking soda increases your risk of frabjuous cell basocarcinoma by 700%. Your reasonably competent friend is urging you to throw away your baking soda toothpaste. Should you?

2. Your co-worker is preparing a report that compares the average income for several cities and has chosen to use the arithmetic mean to do so. You're concerned about this. Why?

3. Your buddy posts Tyler Vigen’s recent collection of spurious correlations on facebook, with this message: “So much for statistics! I guess you’ll think twice next time you hear about a correlation in the news.” What do you reply?

[Challenge/hint: Don’t say correlation vs causation]

Last edited by a moderator:
guys take a look, and it's urgent, help is in need and appreciated.
"Help is in need" with which part(s) of which exercise(s)? Until we can see what you've done, we don't know where you're getting stuck.

1. Recent research provides evidence that brushing your teeth with baking soda increases your risk of frabjuous cell basocarcinoma by 700%. Your reasonably competent friend is urging you to throw away your baking soda toothpaste. Should you?
Without knowing the basal rate, it's hard to know if a seven-hundred-percent increase is actually a bad thing. Are you given any additional information for this?

2. Your co-worker is preparing a report that compares the average income for several cities and has chosen to use the arithmetic mean to do so. You're concerned about this. Why?
What type of "average" do governmental agencies use for income? Why?

3. Your buddy posts Tyler Vigen’s recent collection of spurious correlations on facebook, with this message: “So much for statistics! I guess you’ll think twice next time you hear about a correlation in the news.” What do you reply?

[Challenge/hint: Don’t say correlation vs causation]
I'm assuming that the "spurious correlations" listing is the one here. What research have you done on this listing? What articles have you read regarding this? What are your thoughts so far?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)