Final Question on a stats project

deckcard

"Make some estimates about values you will get on future draws. Within what range will you expect approximately 90% of your draw values to fall? What is the approximate probability that you will get a draw value of at least 20? Make sure you justify how you obtained your values."

To give a bit of a back story:

"This experiment will require the use of a standard deck of playing cards. This is a deck of fifty-two cards divided into four suits (spades (♠), hearts (♥), diamonds (♦), and clubs (♣)), each suit containing thirteen cards (Ace, numbers 2-10, and face cards Jack, Queen, and King). You can use either a physical deck of cards for this experiment or you may use a virtual deck of cards such as that found on random.org (http://www.random.org/playing-cards/).
For the purposes of this task, assign each card a value: The Ace takes a value of 1, numbered cards take the value printed on the card, and the Jack, Queen, and King each take a value of 10."

I've done the other few parts (relative frequency histogram, do own sampling for 30 sets of 3 cards, record descriptive statistics, create a histogram and explain how the shapes of the histograms are different) but this part has stumped me, any ideas?

"Make some estimates about values you will get on future draws. Within what range will you expect approximately 90% of your draw values to fall? What is the approximate probability that you will get a draw value of at least 20? Make sure you justify how you obtained your values."

To give a bit of a back story:

"This experiment will require the use of a standard deck of playing cards. This is a deck of fifty-two cards divided into four suits (spades (♠), hearts (♥), diamonds (♦), and clubs (♣)), each suit containing thirteen cards (Ace, numbers 2-10, and face cards Jack, Queen, and King). You can use either a physical deck of cards for this experiment or you may use a virtual deck of cards such as that found on random.org (http://www.random.org/playing-cards/).
For the purposes of this task, assign each card a value: The Ace takes a value of 1, numbered cards take the value printed on the card, and the Jack, Queen, and King each take a value of 10."

I've done the other few parts (relative frequency histogram, do own sampling for 30 sets of 3 cards, record descriptive statistics, create a histogram and explain how the shapes of the histograms are different) but this part has stumped me, any ideas?
How many each of aces, duces, treys, ..., nines are there? So what is the probability of scoring a 1, 2, 3, ..., or 9 on each draw.
How many cards have a value of 10? So, what is the probability of scoring a 10 on each draw.

What is the distribution, S(x), of the sum from N draws? So what is P(x \(\displaystyle \ge\)20)?

If you are having problems, show us your work so we can help.

How many each of aces, duces, treys, ..., nines are there? So what is the probability of scoring a 1, 2, 3, ..., or 9 on each draw.
How many cards have a value of 10? So, what is the probability of scoring a 10 on each draw.

What is the distribution, S(x), of the sum from N draws? So what is P(x \(\displaystyle \ge\)20)?

If you are having problems, show us your work so we can help.

There are Four 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's and there are 16 10's (4 10s, and 4 queens, jacks, kings.)

Here is the Relative Frequency Histogram (attached).

Relative Frequency Histogram.PNG

What I'm wondering is for these 2 parts (Within what range will you expect approximately 90% of your draw values to fall? What is the approximate probability that you will get a draw value of at least 20), should I be using what would be expected in a completely unbiased sampling or in my sampling?

Last edited:
There are Four 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's and there are 16 10's (4 10s, and 4 queens, jacks, kings.)

Here is the Relative Frequency Histogram (attached).

View attachment 5034

What I'm wondering is for these 2 parts (Within what range will you expect approximately 90% of your draw values to fall? What is the approximate probability that you will get a draw value of at least 20), should I be using what would be expected in a completely unbiased sampling or in my sampling?
Hopefully, they will be about the same. However, I believe the question is asked about the theoretical distribution (a very large completely unbiased sampling).

The image you have is for 1 draw and, for a single draw, you will never get 20 or above, so you will also need the distribution of N draws and I would assume the N was given or the question makes no sense to me.

Hopefully, they will be about the same. However, I believe the question is asked about the theoretical distribution (a very large completely unbiased sampling).

The image you have is for 1 draw and, for a single draw, you will never get 20 or above, so you will also need the distribution of N draws and I would assume the N was given or the question makes no sense to me.

I believe one Draw refers to the selection of 3 cards like was done in my personal sampling distribution. so it's basically find out how likely it is that if 3 cards are drawn, we get a result of over 20. Do you know what formula should be applied for this part and the 90% range part?